Nutritious oils have been used for both cooking and for medicinal purposes for centuries. One such oil that remains among the most widely used (especially by women) is borage oil.
Borage (Borago officinalls) is an herb native to the Mediterranean. Also called Starflower, it can be recognized by the bristly hairs covering the purple stem and blue star-shaped flowers. Borage oil contains high amounts of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). This essential fatty acid is important for normal brain function, bone health and regulating our metabolism.
Wondering what borage oil can do for you? Check out 10 ways borage has found its way into modern medicine:
1.Skin Condition Remedy -- When taken orally, borage oil increases the level of prostaglandin 1 (PG1) which suppresses chronic inflammation. In our body, PG1 can help the skin retain moisture and protect against damage. Skin disorders associated with an imbalance of fatty acids can be corrected through dietary inclusion of borage oil. Borage oil has also proven to be an effective treatment for various forms of acne.
2.Rheumatoid Arthritis Reliever -- Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder marked by inflammation in the joint linings. Testing is still ongoing, but borage oil has shown promise in easing the swelling and tenderness normally associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Hypertension Reducer -- When used in conjunction with omega-3 fatty acids, borage oil can be used as a treatment for high blood pressure. It's believed the by-products of GLA help relax smooth muscle in artery walls, thereby lowering blood pressure.
4. Menopause/PMS Symptom Regulator-- Borage oil is a good source of the essential fatty acids needed for the proper metabolism of hormones. Borage oil helps to stop the mood swings associated with menopause and PMS from spiraling out of control.
5. Fever Reducer -- Since the Middle Ages, borage leaves have been boiled into tea to reduce fever-like symptoms. The anti-inflammatory effect of borage oil also help soothe the throat and lessen the effects of the fever.
6.Depression Allievator -- Borage oil helps stabilize the adrenal glands, producing adrenaline. The adrenaline then brings the body out of a depressed state by encouraging proper stress response. The continual use of borage oil can be beneficial in suppressing symptoms of depression for the long term.
7. Multiple Sclerosis Fighter -- Research shows high levels of the fatty acids present in borage oil help combat the muscle spasms and numbness associated with multiple sclerosis. Borage oil has also proven effective in preventing nerve damage.
8.Baby Care -- Babies who suffer from inflamed skin on the scalp, also known as cradle cap, showed improvement with two daily applications of borage oil. When applied topically, the oil is absorbed through the skin and becomes available throughout the body.
9. Tasty Treat -- Borage leaves have a taste similar to cucumbers and are often used in soups and salads to supplement the lack of fatty acids in a normal diet. The oil has been extracted for centuries for use in a variety of teas and honeys.
10. Moisturizing Agent -- When applied topically, borage oil has shown the ability to restore moisture and smoothness to dry and damaged skin. Borage oil can be found as one of the main ingredients in many soaps and face washes. However, when combined with multiple ingredients, the effects of the borage oil can be diluted.
Taking 1,000 to 1,300 mg of borage oil a day will provide roughly 240 to 300 mg of GLA. Taking borage oil with food may improve GLA absorption for even greater benefit. Borage oil is considered a safe supplement overall, however, constipation has been known to occur in some individuals. Start with a small dose and increase gradually.
If you want healthier skin or relief from any of the symptoms described above, make borage oil part of your daily routine, check out the wide variety of products available from eVitamins!
Products you may like:
Nature's Plus Borage Oil 1300 mg Why you may like this product? This borage seed oil extract is specially formulate to contain a minimum 24 percent gamma-linolenic acid to guarantee each capsule can provide consistent potency and activity.
FoodScience of Vermont Borage Oil Why you may like this product? Taken orally to insure adequate dispersal of GLA throughout the body. Contains 1,000 mg of pure borage oil extract per softgel.
Las declaraciones hechas sobre vitaminas, suplementos, procedimientos u otros artículos vendidos a través de este sitio web no han sido evaluadas por eVitamins o por la Food and Drug Administration de Estados Unidos. Éstos están destinados para diagnosticar, tratar, curar o prevenir enfermedades. La información proporcionada en este sitio es sólo para fines informativos. Como siempre, por favor consulte con un médico o un médico autorizado antes de comenzar cualquier dieta, ejercicio o suplementos, antes de tomar cualquier vitamina o medicamento, o si usted tiene o sospecha que puede tener un problema.
eVitamins, LLC - 6833 Auburn, Utica, MI 48317 USA - 1-888-222-6056