Sometimes the solution we need is so simple, we can't believe we overlooked it. This is the case with bee pollen, the nutrient-dense product of pollen collection by honeybees that's used medicinally for everything from digestion to prostate health.
Bee pollen, in supplement form, is produced from the pollen that collects on the bodies of bees when harvesting the pollen from flowers. It's combined with nectar and serves as the food for young bees. Some bee pollen products may also contain the saliva of the bee. These products are most commonly sold in granule form to be eaten, but capsules and tablets are also available.
Bee pollen is a holistic remedy used throughout the world for a myriad of purposes and research is ongoing to determine the exact role of bee pollen in promoting health. Here are 10 great reasons to learn more about bee pollen:
1. Nutritious Superfood -- Bee pollen is rich in B vitamins, minerals, lipids and carbohydrates and is nearly half protein. You can add bee pollen to prepared foods like a smoothie or cereal for some added nutrition. Dr. Mehmet Oz sprinkled some on his yogurt on an episode of "The Dr. Oz Show."
2. Energy Booster -- This range of nutrients found within bee pollen makes it a great natural energizer. When added to food, as previously mentioned, or taken in another form, the carbohydrates, protein and B vitamins can help keep you going all day with improved stamina to fight off fatigue.
3. Skin Soother -- You can find bee pollen in topical products to deal with common skin irritations or inflammatory conditions like eczema. The amino acids and vitamins protect the skin's structure and support cellular regeneration.
4. Respiratory Health -- The antioxidants found within bee pollen may have an anti-inflammatory effect on the tissues of the lungs, preventing the onset of asthma. It can also build up your resistance to allergens. Don't stop using any prescription medication for asthma or allergies without your doctor's consent.
5. Digestive Regularity -- In addition to healthful vitamins, minerals and protein, bee pollen contains enzymes that can aid in digestion. Enzymes help the body break down fat, protein, carbohydrates and amino acids to be used throughout the body as energy. They also make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need from the food you eat.
6. Immune System Strengthener -- According to holistic health expert Dr. Joseph Mercola, bee pollen has antibiotic-type properties that can help protect the body from contracting viruses. It's also rich in antioxidants that protect the cells from the damaging oxidation of free radicals.
7. Cravings Inhibitor -- Bee pollen is used throughout the world for many different reasons, but one of the most interesting is its use for preventing cravings and treating addiction by suppressing urges. However, more research is needed into this benefit, particularly when it comes to weight management.
8. Fertility Aide -- Bee pollen can also be taken to stimulate the function of the ovaries to protect the egg and encourage fertilization. However, it's not recommended for women who are pregnant, so be sure to consult with your physician first about bee pollen if you're experiencing fertility problems.
9. Heart Support -- Ingesting bee pollen has been shown to improve cholesterol levels in the blood, lowering LDL, or "bad" cholesterol. Doing so can reduce your risk for heart attack, stroke and heart disease.
10. Enlarged Prostate Relief -- Men who suffer from benign prostate hyperplasia can find relief by using bee pollen supplements. Bee pollen can help reduce inflammation to stop frequent urges to urinate.
Anyone who is allergic to bees or pollen should avoid using any products containing bee pollen or bee pollen supplements to avoid a serious reaction, unless authorized by their healthcare provider. Again, pregnant and breastfeeding women are also advised not to use bee pollen. If you've been diagnosed with a medical condition, like diabetes, be sure to check with your physician first before adding this, or any other supplement to your routine.
Shop for quality bee pollen supplements at a great price at eVitamins. We'll bee back next week with another great product!
Exención de responsabilidad:
eVitamins recomienda que no confíe en la información presentada en este artículo como diagnóstico para el tratamiento de cualquier reclamo de salud. El contenido y la información en este sitio son para fines de referencia y no pretenden sustituir el consejo proporcionado por un médico, farmacéutico u otro profesional de la salud con licencia. No debe utilizar esta información como autodiagnóstico o para tratar un problema de salud o enfermedad. Comuníquese con su proveedor de atención médica de inmediato si sospecha que tiene un problema médico. La información y las declaraciones en este artículo no han sido evaluadas por la Administración de Drogas y Alimentos de los EE. UU. Y no están destinadas a diagnosticar, tratar, curar o prevenir ninguna enfermedad o afección médica. eVitamins no asume ninguna responsabilidad por inexactitudes o errores.