Men and women have very different nutritional needs, which is why choosing supplements isn’t a one-size-fits-all thing. When building a solid supplement routine to support your diet and exercise program, it’s important to make sure you cover all your bases to support the body from head to toe.
The Five Supplements You Need
These five supplements will help you feel your best, boosting your health while helping you reach your own personal fitness goals.
More Health Tips for Guys
- Multivitamin -- We all do our best to eat a balanced diet, but it isn’t always easy. You may have food sensitivities, allergies or just dislike certain healthy foods. A multivitamin isn’t meant to correct poor eating, but to enhance a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, good fats, whole grains and lean proteins. Choose a multi that provides about 100 percent of your recommended daily allowance of essential vitamins and minerals -- no extreme doses unless advised by a physician.
- Fish Oil + Vitamin D -- Fish oil contains essential fatty acids (EFAs) like omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9. These EFAs have been shown to support heart health while also protecting the tissues of the body. Finding a fish oil supplement with vitamin D is a great bonus, because vitamin D supports the immune system and may have anticancer properties. Adult males should have between 600 and 800 IU of vitamin D a day according to age. You normally get vitamin D through sun exposure, but that isn’t possible year-round. Keep this supplement in the fridge door to maintain freshness.
- Anti-Inflammatory -- You put your body through a lot. Whether you’re a current or former athlete or just maintain a regular exercise routine, the wear and tear you put on your joints can cause problems like arthritis later on that and inhibit physical activity. Anti-inflammatory supplements with herbs like turmeric and ginger, holy basil and tart cherry help the body adapt and keep it protected from excessive and uncomfortable inflammation.
- Calcium + Magnesium -- Another way to look out for your bones is through calcium and magnesium, two crucial minerals to prevent bone loss, osteopenia and osteoporosis as well as breaks. Adult males should have between 1,000 and 1,300 mg of calcium per day, depending on age and between 400 and 420 mg of magnesium. If you can choose a supplement with vitamin K added, even better. Vitamin K enhances absorption of these essential minerals. These minerals also support the central nervous system, which means they can have a calming effect. Take them before bed for deeper sleep.
- Protein Powder -- In order to build and maintain lean muscle mass and keep excess fat at bay, protein is a must. Starting your day with protein keeps your metabolism elevated throughout the day and fueling your workouts with protein will assist in muscle recovery and build strength and definition. A quality protein supplement low in sugar and free of artificial ingredients is a must.
- BONUS: Probiotic -- The majority of your immune system lives within your gut, which is also home to your digestive system. Probiotics are essential to keeping both functioning optimally. While you can get them from consuming fermented foods, most of us don’t have enough in our diet regularly -- and beer doesn’t count.
Now that you have your supplements picked out, it’s time to talk about the rest of your routine. Managing your health is about how you treat your body in every way. Make your health a priority by following these suggestions:
You can find all the supplements mentioned in this post at eVitamins at great discounts and so much more. Stay well and we’ll be back tomorrow!
- Get at least eight hours of sleep a night.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Stay on top of annual physical examinations and cancer screenings.
- Eat three balanced meals a day consisting of fats, protein and carbohydrates.
- Ditch the processed foods and sugary drinks -- that includes sports drinks.
- Make sure your workouts consist of both strength training and cardio.
|Related Articles You May Like|