Does this sound like you? Every year you set a list of intentions to help you make healthy changes and every year you walk away from them after a few weeks or months? Why? Making lifestyle changes can be tough, but if planned properly aren't impossible to stick to.
These 10 tips can help you turn your goals for the new year into a reality:
1. Set a realistic goal that makes sense for your budget, schedule and current health.
2. Schedule your workouts, grocery shopping and meal prep into your routine just like you would any other appointment to help you stick to them.
3. Start slowly and work your way up to your final goal to prevent injury, illness or becoming overwhelmed or bored.
4. Team up with a friend, coworker or family member and help each other progress.
5. Measure your results on a weekly basis to see what progress you're making and where adjustments can be made to your routine to take you to the next level.
6. Get the equipment you need to succeed and have it ready to use including fitness gear as well as food and supplements.
7. Decide on a reward for yourself for your hard work. For example, put a dollar in a jar after every workout -- use what you save up to buy a new pair of jeans to fit that new body!
8. Understand the right balance for your body which keeps you from feeling deprived and allows you to indulge in the foods and activities you love on occasion.
9. Get plenty of rest, since being fatigued can make a new routine more stressful and harder to stick to.
10. Be honest with yourself about how far you've come, what you need to work on and where you may have taken a misstep. Then allow yourself to move on.
Here's another happy and healthy year!