The 5 Top Supplements for Hair Health
|By Petra Trudell, Managing Editor on Thursday, April 10, 2014|
|Nourish your hair from the inside and it will be reflected on the outside. Keep reading to learn which five supplements we recommend for healthy, beautiful hair.||
Your hair is one of the first things about your appearance people notice. This is why we spend countless hours styling it before we head out the door. But without the proper nourishment, your hair can become weak, brittle and dull and even begin to fall out.
With the right supplement to your daily diet, you may be able to turn the condition of your hair around.
Natural Supplements for Healthy Hair
If you feel like you've tried everything to restore your dry or damaged hair, or if it's thinning, the solution may lie in what you're putting into your body. Certain nutrients in our food as well as herbal extracts can support the tissues of the body to keep them strong and resistant to damage. This includes the hair.
Consider adding one of these supplements to your routine to support hair health from the inside out:
1. B Vitamins -- There are eight B vitamins and those most often recommended for the hair are folic acid, vitamin B12 and vitamin B6. B vitamins help strengthen the hair while also making it more shiny and full. While there are very strong doses available, B vitamins are water soluble, so whatever the body doesn't need will be excreted.
2. Horsetail -- Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) extract is a rich source of silica, a mineral that helps strengthen the hair and nails to prevent breakage. It's also known to have antioxidant benefits for the body, protecting it from the damage of free radical invaders.
3. MSM -- A type of naturally occurring sulfur, MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is also known to strengthen the hair follicle, possibly by encouraging collagen production. Collagen is a protein found within the hair and the skin which supports its structure.
4. Bioflavonoids -- Found in citrus fruits mainly, bioflavonoids are a type of antioxidant. As mentioned before, antioxidants prevent free radical compounds from causing damage to the cells. This damage leads to aging and breakdown.
5. Iron -- One of the most recognizable symptoms of an iron deficiency is dry and brittle hair. That's because iron is needed to bring oxygen to all parts of the body through the blood, including the hair. This encourages it to grow and remain strong. However, taking more than the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) isn't advised, so make sure you pay attention to how much you're getting through diet and any multivitamin supplement you're taking before consuming additional iron.
If you're concerned about hair loss or damage and want to add a supplement to your routine, be sure to speak with your doctor first if you have a diagnosed medical condition or if you're pregnant or breastfeeding. Herbal supplements, vitamins and minerals can impact people differently and may interfere with any prescription or over-the-counter medications you take regularly.
More Ways to Support Hair Health
Beyond supplements, there are simple changes you can make to your routine to protect the health of your hair. Here are some suggestions that can strengthen the hair and prevent breakage and split ends:
Never brush wet hair.
Sleep with coconut oil on dry hair one night a week (bottom half of the hair shaft only).
Make sure your diet includes healthy fats like omega-3s.
Avoid wearing hats all day long when possible.
Heat style hair on the lowest setting possible.
Don't take very hot showers or baths, which can strip the hair.
Choose a sulfate-free shampoo to prevent drying.
These supplements and suggestions can help you protect your hair from damage and may reduce loss. Shop our entire selection of hair vitamins at eVitamins and we'll see you tomorrow!
Related Articles:5 Reasons You Should Take a Bath6 Ways to Prevent Hair LossHomeopathic Skin Care Remedies
|Related Articles You May Like|
Bath & Shower, 목욕 & 샤워|
Hair Care, 헤어케어
Oral Hygiene, 치아관리
Personal Care, 퍼스널 케어
Skin Care, 스킨케어
Sun & Bug
Hair Loss, 탈모방지
Hair Treatments, 헤어트리트먼트
Hair Vitamins, 헤어비타민
Lice Treatment, 이 치료
Styling Gel - Mousse, 헤어스타일링
Hair Growth - Vitamins
|Hair Care, 헤어케어 - 고객님께서 좋아할만한 제품|