Zinc may be found in the last slot on your multivitamin's nutrition facts, but that doesn't make this valuable nutrient any less important for your health.
Zinc is a mineral that's essential for daily consumption for health. You can find zinc in certain types of seafood (oysters being the highest), beef, pork and chicken as well as oats, beans and nuts. You can find zinc in dietary supplements (including multivitamins), listed as zinc gluconate, zinc sulfate or zinc acetate. The recommended dietary allowances (RDAs) for zinc, according to the Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH) are as follows:
Up to six months -- 2 mg (male and female)
Seven to 12 months -- 3 mg (male and female)
One to three years -- 3 mg (male and female)
Four to eight years -- 5 mg (male and female)
Nine to 13 years -- 8 mg (male and female)
14 to 18 years -- 11 mg (male), 9 mg (female), 12 mg (pregnant) and 13 mg (lactating)
19 years and older -- 11 mg (male), 8 mg (female), 11 mg (pregnant) and 12 mg (lactating)
If you though zinc was just a metal, check out 10 ways your body utilizes zinc to keep you feeling your best:
1. Immunity Booster -- Zinc supports a strong immune system response to pathogens, preventing illness and possibly shortening the duration of a viral or bacterial infection, if contracted. Those who are deficient in zinc are more susceptible to infections.
2. Enzyme Buddy -- Zinc plays a role in the actions of more than 100 enzymes, which support cellular activity throughout the body. Symptoms of zinc deficiency include loss of appetite, hair loss, impaired immune function, growth retardation and delayed puberty.
3. Wound Healer -- Zinc is crucial for maintaining the health of the skin and mucosal membranes. This helps the skin repair itself after injury quickly and without infection. Being deficient in zinc could affect your ability to heal after surgery or injury.
4. Skin Condition Remedy -- In accordance with its ability to improve wound-healing time, zinc is beneficial for those suffering from skin conditions like acne, psoriasis and eczema. Zinc's ability to reduce inflammation also plays a role in this benefit.
5. Developmental Aide -- We need zinc from the time of conception, making it an important mineral in prenatal vitamins and in our daily nutrition from there on out. Zinc helps the body grow and develop properly and the amount we need changes with age, as seen in the table above.
6. Sense Supporter -- If you're having difficulty smelling or if you find the foods you eat are more bland in taste than you remember, you may be in need of more zinc, which supports these key senses.
7. Cold and Flu Remedy -- Because of its immune system-supporting properties, you can find zinc in over-the-counter medications for the cold and flu as well as throat lozenges or cough drops. Zinc has anti-inflammatory properties and actually inhibits the rhinovirus from binding to the nasal passages and replicating.
8. Digestive Aide -- Going back to the immunity-enhancing benefits of zinc, this mineral can also reduce your risk for contracting infections caused by parasites that can lead to diarrhea, especially chronic diarrhea.
9. Vision Protector -- Another of the senses, your ability to see, is also protected by zinc. Studies have found consuming adequate amounts of zinc on a daily basis can actually delay the advancement of macular degeneration and loss of vision as a result of aging.
As always, speak with your doctor before adding a zinc supplement to your routine, especially if you're being treated for any of the aforementioned conditions. Research continues to determine the exact role zinc plays in the conditions mentioned.
We'll be back next week with another versatile supplement. Shop for quality zinc supplements of all kinds at eVitamins and see what zinc can do for you!
Products you may like:
Nature's Plus Zinc Why you may like this product? A good, low dose to start
with, this zinc supplement
provides 10 mg of zinc per
tablet. You only need to take
it once daily, unless
otherwise directed by your
doctor, to strengthen the
immune system, support the
sense and much more.
Now Foods L-OptiZinc Why you may like this product? This zinc supplement is unique
because the zinc included has
been blended with methionine
to help the body better absorb
and hold onto this important
mineral. Each serving provides
30 mg of zinc plus 300 mcg of
copper to improve immune
면책사항 : 본 웹사이트를 통해 작성된 문서 또는 판매된 상품은 미국식약처(FDA)에 의해 검증되지 않았습니다. 해당정보 및 제품들은 질병에 관한 진단, 치료 또는 예방을 목적으로 하지 않습니다. 본 사이트가 제공하는 정보는 구매고객의 편의를 고려하여 참고 수준의 정보로 작성됐음을 알려드립니다. 의료상담 및 건강진단, 치료방법은 반드시 전문의에게 상담하셔야하며, 모든 제품은 복용하는 사용자에 따라 효과의 차이가 발생하거나 영양분에 따라 상호작용이 발생할 수 있으므로 전문가의 상담을 권장해 드립니다.