It takes a lot to earn the title "superfood." One such food that's risen to the challenge is spirulina, a type of blue-green algae that's rich in vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants. This tiny organism has been named a green superfood for its plethora of health benefits, making it a favorite among health enthusiasts and professionals.
In case you've never heard of it, or want to know more, here are 10 amazing reasons to try spirulina:
1. Allergy Relief -- Those who suffer from allergies may find spirulina beneficial in preventing the onset of symptoms like a runny nose, hives and itchy, watery eyes. Spirulina is known to inhibit the release of histamines, which trigger such uncomfortable symptoms.
2. Reduces Inflammation -- A number of conditions can be attributed to inflammation occurring throughout the body. Spirulina contains gamma linoleic acid (GLA), which helps the body have a more normal inflammatory response, preventing uncomfortable symptoms like pain.
3. Amino Acid Supplier-- Spirulina is a commonly used source of protein for athletes and anyone looking to stick to a more plant-based diet. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center (UMM), spirulina is made up of approximately 62 percent amino acids, which support the development and continued health of lean muscle tissue.
4. Supports Eye Health -- Spirulina is packed with antioxidants that protect the cells, tissues and organs of the body. One type in particular, carotenoids, specifically benefits the eyes. Regular consumption of spirulina can help protect vision (especially in times of changing light conditions, like night driving) and prevent/slow degeneration with age.
5. Natural Detoxifier -- Ridding the body of built-up toxins helps relieve digestive symptoms like bloating and boost the immune system. But instead of going on a strict cleanse that involves a limited diet, you can add spirulina to your routine, which supports the body's natural detoxification process, which occurs daily.
6. Super Energizer -- Whether it's to beat the afternoon slump or fuel your workout, spirulina is a great way to boost your energy without turning to stimulants that can cause blood sugar spikes and crashes. This blue-green algae is packed with vitamins, minerals and, as mentioned before, amino acids, to keep you going.
7. Immunity Booster -- The key nutrients and antioxidants found in spirulina all naturally support a strong immune system response and also fight off free radicals, which can impair the immune system and lead to infection and illness.
8. Liver Health-- Preliminary studies show spirulina may be beneficial for individuals with chronic hepatitis (which attacks the liver). Regular consumption of spirulina may help prevent liver damage and cirrhosis (failure).
9. Infection Protection -- Researchers are looking at spirulina as a way to help the body fight infections like the flu, herpes and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Animal studies suggest spirulina helps the body produce more antibodies and other proteins and cells that fight infection as well as chronic conditions like cancer.
10. Cholesterol Regulator -- If you have high cholesterol, spirulina can help you lower your "bad" (LDL) cholesterol and increase your "good" (HDL) cholesterol. Keeping your cholesterol in check helps lower your risk for heart attack, stroke and heart disease.
More studies are being conducted to determine the exact role and efficacy of spirulina in all of these cases. You can find spirulina in capsules, tablets, powders and flakes. It's even included in protein shake mixes. Shop our variety of spirulina supplements at eVitamins.
We'll see you next week with another great supplement that's worth a second, fifth or tenth look!
Products you may like:
Now Foods Spirulina 500 mg Why you may like this product? Now's spirulina supplement
provides 500 mg of this
amazing superfood per serving.
Your health will benefit from
11,250 IU of vitamin A, 2 mcg
of vitamin B12 as well as
gamma linoleic acid and
VegLife Peaceful Planet Super Spirulina Protein Shake Unflavored Why you may like this product? If you're looking for an
alternative protein source
that's also packed with
nutrition, look no further
than this mix from Peaceful
Planet. Each serving provides
25 g of protein with only 120
calories. This shake is
available in a delicious
french vanilla flavor and
Detox, Boost Energy with Spirulina Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that is packed with nutritional compounds. While
it has many benefits, spirulina is known to detoxify and energize the body. Read on to
면책사항 : 본 웹사이트를 통해 작성된 문서 또는 판매된 상품은 미국식약처(FDA)에 의해 검증되지 않았습니다. 해당정보 및 제품들은 질병에 관한 진단, 치료 또는 예방을 목적으로 하지 않습니다. 본 사이트가 제공하는 정보는 구매고객의 편의를 고려하여 참고 수준의 정보로 작성됐음을 알려드립니다. 의료상담 및 건강진단, 치료방법은 반드시 전문의에게 상담하셔야하며, 모든 제품은 복용하는 사용자에 따라 효과의 차이가 발생하거나 영양분에 따라 상호작용이 발생할 수 있으므로 전문가의 상담을 권장해 드립니다.