10 Best Uses for Kelp
|By Petra Trudell, Managing Editor on Monday, March 18, 2013|
|Kelp is a plant found growing in salt water that||
As the natural wellness industry continues to grow, we're learning more and more about the benefits of some plants we may have overlooked.
Kelp is grown in all oceans of the world, but is normally found in the northern Atlantic and Pacific oceans, as well as in the Baltic Sea. Some other names for kelp include bladder fucus, bladderwrack, common seawrack, kelpware, sea kelp and Fucus vesiculosus. Kelp is high in iron, sodium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium and potassium as well as several vitamins and amino acids.
Kelp is available in a variety of forms and has amazing health benefits. Here are 10 reasons to give it a try:
1. Thyroid Regulator -- Due to the naturally high levels of iodine found in kelp, one of its first uses was to prevent the iodine deficiency known as goiter. Goiter results in the swelling of the thyroid gland which can lead to neck and larynx swelling. Kelp is commonly used in the regulation of thyroid hormones to prevent the swelling.
2. Weight Loss Aid -- Kelp helps boost metabolism, increasing the rate at which the body digests food. There has recently been an increase in the popularity of kelp noodles, which contain no fat, cholesterol, protein or sugar with fewer than 10 calories per serving.
3. Bone Strengthener -- Kelp is incredibly high in calcium, even containing more than a typical class of milk. A daily intake of kelp can strengthen bones and prevent the onset of osteoporosis.
4. Workout Formula -- Kelp is full of the vitamins and minerals your body needs to recover after strenuous activity. It's full of amino acids which help your body rebuild muscle faster and give you the energy you need to workout. Due to it's low calorie count, kelp is also quite popular as a compliment to a meal replacement formula.
5. Decrease the Chance of Cancer -- A study conducted by the University of California, Berkley found women who consumed regular amounts of kelp had lower serum estradiol levels in women and phytoestrogenic properties. Other studies have shown Japanese women, whose diets are normally quite high in kelp, traditionally are at lower risk for breast, ovarian and endometrial cancers.
6. Boost Immunity -- Most sea kelp contains some form of alkali, an ionic salt. Alkali balances the acidity levels in the body, preventing indigestion and stomach ulcers. Kelp has also been known to strengthen the immune system and increase resistance to infection and fever.
7. Skin Care -- Many masks and facial cleansers are created with a kelp base. It's believed this ingredient can brighten the appearance of skin as well as manage the amount of acne breakouts. Kelp moisturizes the skin while providing deep cleansing.
8. Anti-Inflammatory -- One of the main components found in kelp is fucoidan, a complex carbohydrate that works as a powerful anti-inflammatory. Kelp helps reduce inflammation in injured tissues and ease painful joints as a result of rheumatism and rheumatoid arthritis. Kelp may also reduce an enlarged prostate in men.
9. Circulatory Health -- Kelp has proven effective in strengthening the circulatory system while helping lower cholesterol levels. Since kelp is normally found in cold water climates, it naturally has high nitrogen levels. This enables kelp's cleansing properties which strengthen the walls of blood vessels and reduce the deposits found in the arteries.
10. Body Cleanser -- Kelp is a natural diuretic. It cleans out the system of harmful toxins and excess water.
Kelp has been known to cause nausea and diarrhea in some people. If you're pregnant or nursing, it's best to avoid kelp supplement as they have not been tested in a controlled situation. For a variety of kelp products and others to boost your overall health, explore eVitamins today!
Related Articles:10 Foods to Support Breast Health Year Round5 Reasons You Should Take a BathWhat Is Vitamin B Complex and What Does It Do?
|Related Articles You May Like|
Bee-pollen, 비폴렌, 벌화분
Bitter Melon, 여주
Black Cohosh , 블랙코호시
Black Currant, 블랙커런트
Black Walnut, 블랙월넛
Blessed Thistle, 블레시드시슬
Blue Cohosh, 블루코호시
Cascara Sagrada, 변비개선