Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) is an herb with a variety of uses that have made it a popular choice for the health conscious. Found throughout the world, alfalfa is actually a member of the pea family and while the plant is often grown as feed for cattle, the seeds, leaves and sprouts are used both as food for humans and for medicinal purposes.
Interested in trying out some alfalfa? Supplements are available in capsules, tablets, liquid or tea form. Here are 10 reasons alfalfa is worth giving a shot:
1. Kidney Function -- Alfalfa supports the proper function of the two kidneys and may help prevent the development of kidney stones, which can be incredibly painful, as well as help dissolve them.
2. Nutrition -- If you're missing out on key nutrients from day to day, alfalfa is rich is vitamins like A, C, E and K as well as the minerals calcium, iron, potassium and phosphorus. This plant also contains protein, fiber, digestive enzymes, amino acids and plenty of chlorophyll.
3. Bladder and Prostate Function-- Take alfalfa to keep the urinary system on track and functioning correctly and prevent infections of the bladder and/or urinary tract. Alfalfa also helps to increase urine flow, which can be affected by age.
4. Arthritis -- Patients with various forms of arthritis, such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, can benefit from alfalfa. A traditional herbal remedy in various parts of the world, alfalfa tea is said to help relieve the pain.
5. Digestive Health -- If you're experiencing digestive issues, alfalfa can help the body better break down food and absorb its nutrients, preventing symptoms and increasing nutritional gain. The various nutrients and enzymes in alfalfa are responsible for these results.
6. Lowering Cholesterol-- For individuals with high levels of "bad" (LDL) cholesterol, alfalfa has shown to be effective in stopping the absorption of cholesterol in the gut, helping naturally bring down levels of this harmful cholesterol. It's not been shown to have any effect on "good" (HDL) cholesterol.
7. Diabetes -- Alfalfa can be taken to regulate blood sugar levels, lowering the amount of glucose in the blood. If you have diabetes, be sure to keep a close eye on your blood sugar while taking an alfalfa supplement.
8. Respiratory Problems -- Anyone who suffers from allergies or asthma can use alfalfa as a way to find relief. The chlorophyll in alfalfa improves the health and function of the sinuses and lungs, protecting you from infection and boosting recovery time.
9. Cardiovascular Protection-- In addition to lowering cholesterol, which benefits the heart, alfalfa helps out the heart by boosting circulation and inhibiting plaque formation within the arteries that can lead to conditions like coronary artery disease.
10. Prevent or Correct Anemia -- Someone is often diagnosed as anemic when they have too little iron in their blood. Naturally rich in this important mineral, alfalfa can be beneficial in correcting an deficit imbalance.
As always, check with your doctor before adding alfalfa to your routine, especially if you've been diagnosed with and are being treated for any of the conditions listed above. Don't take alfalfa without the permission and monitoring of a physician if you're taking blood thinners, contraceptive drugs, estrogen pills, immunosuppressants or any medication that makes you more sensitive to sunlight.
Stock up on your alfalfa products today at eVitamins and check back next week to learn about another versatile supplement!
Products you may like:
Solaray Orangic Alfalfa Why you may like this product? Solaray's organic supplement
is made from the finest
quality alfalfa with no
binders or fillers. You can
take this product up to three
times a day for all the
benefits of alfalfa.
Nature's Life Alfalfa Leaf 1,000 mg Why you may like this product? Get 1,000 mg of alfalfa
extract per tablet with this
product from Nature's Life.
Processed from fresh alfalfa
that's been dried in the sun
without chemicals, you can
trust what you're taking and
get all the nutritional
면책사항 : 본 웹사이트를 통해 작성된 문서 또는 판매된 상품은 미국식약처(FDA)에 의해 검증되지 않았습니다. 해당정보 및 제품들은 질병에 관한 진단, 치료 또는 예방을 목적으로 하지 않습니다. 본 사이트가 제공하는 정보는 구매고객의 편의를 고려하여 참고 수준의 정보로 작성됐음을 알려드립니다. 의료상담 및 건강진단, 치료방법은 반드시 전문의에게 상담하셔야하며, 모든 제품은 복용하는 사용자에 따라 효과의 차이가 발생하거나 영양분에 따라 상호작용이 발생할 수 있으므로 전문가의 상담을 권장해 드립니다.