Interactions with Supplements, Foods, & Other Compounds
Vitamin B-complex includes several different components, each of which has the potential to interact with drugs. It is recommended that you discuss the use of vitamin B-complex and your current medication(s) with your doctor or pharmacist.
Interactions with Medicines
At the time of writing, there were no well-known drug interactions with this supplement.
1. Alvarez OM, Gilbreath RL. Effect of dietary thiamine on intermolecular collagen cross-linking during wound repair: a mechanical and biochemical assessment.J Trauma 1982;22:20–4.
2. Aprahamian M, Dentinger A, Stock-Damge C, et al. Effects of supplemental pantothenic acid on wound healing: experimental study in rabbit. Am J Clin Nutr 1985;41:578–89.
3. Bosse MD, Axelrod AE. Wound healing in rats with biotin, pyridoxin, or riboflavin deficiencies. ProcSoc Exp Biol Med 1948;67:418–21.
4. Porter SR, Scully C, Flint S. Hematologic status in recurrent aphthous stomatitis compared to other oral disease. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1988;66:41–4.
5. Palopoli J, Waxman J. Recurrent aphthous stomatitis and vitamin B12 deficiency. South Med J 1990;83:475–7.
6. Wray D, Ferguson MM, Hutcheon WA, Dagg JH. Nutritional deficiencies in recurrent aphthae. J Oral Pathol 1978;7:418–23.
7. Barnadas MA, Remacha A, Condomines J, de Moragas JM. [Hematologic deficiencies in patients with recurrent oral aphthae]. Med Clin (Barc) 1997;109:85–7 [in Spanish].
8. Olson JA, Feinberg I, Silverman S, et al. Serum vitamin B12, folate, and iron levels in recurrent aphthous ulceration. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1982;54:517–20.
9. Weusten BL, van de Wiel A. Aphthous ulcers and vitamin B12 deficiency. Neth J Med 1998;53:172–5.
10. Porter S, Flint S, Scully C, Keith O. Recurrent aphthous stomatitis: the efficacy of replacement therapy in patients with underlying hematinic deficiencies. Ann Dent 1992;51:14–6.
11. Wray D, Ferguson MM, Mason DK, et al. Recurrent aphthae: treatment with vitamin B12, folic acid, and iron. Br Med J 1975;2(5969):490–3.
12. Nolan A, McIntosh WB, Allam BF, Lamey PJ. Recurrent aphthous ulceration: vitamin B1, B2 and B6 status and response to replacement therapy. J Oral Pathol Med 1991;20:389–91.
13. Haisraeli-Shalish M, Livneh A, Katz J, et al. Recurrent aphthous stomatitis and thiamine deficiency. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1996;82:634–6.
14. Tulipan L. Acne rosacea: a vitamin B complex deficiency. Arch Dermatol Syphilol 1947;56:589.
15. Stillians AW. Pyridoxine in treatment of acne vulgaris. J Invest Dermatol 1946;7:150–1.
16. Johnson L, Eckardt R. Rosacea keratitis and conditions with vascularization of the cornea treated with riboflavin. Arch Ophthamol 1940;23:899–907.
17. Sherertz EF. Acneiform eruption due to “megadose” vitamins B6 and B12. Cutis 1991;48:119–20.
18. Baker H. A vitamin profile of alcoholism. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 1983;(suppl 24):179.
19. Schuckit MA. Alcohol and Alcoholism. In: Fauci AS, Braunwald E, Isselbacher KJ, et al, eds, Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 14th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1998, 2503–8.
20. Norton VP. Interrelationships of nutrition and voluntary alcohol consumption in experimental animals. Br J Addiction 1977;72:205–12.
21. Carroll D, Ring C, Suter M, Willemsen G. The effects of an oral multivitamin combination with calcium, magnesium, and zinc on psychological well-being in healthy young male volunteers: a double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Psychopharmacology 2000;150:220-5.
22. Keith R, Alt L. Riboflavin status of female athletes consuming normal diets. Nutr Res 1991;11:727–34.
23. Van der Beek EJ, Van Dokkum W, Wedel M, et al. Thiamin, riboflavin and vitamin B6: impact of restricted intake on physical performance in man. J Am Coll Nutr 1994;13:629–40.
24. Van der Beek EJ. Vitamin supplementation and physical exercise performance. J Sports Sci 1991;9:77–90 [review].
25. Winters LR, Yoon JS, Kalkwarf HJ, et al. Riboflavin requirements and exercise adaptation in older women. Am J Clin Nutr 1992;56:526–32.
26. Tremblay A, Boiland F, Breton M, et al. The effects of riboflavin supplementation on the nutritional status and performance of elite swimmers. Nutr Res 1984;4:201–8.
27. Murray R, Bartoli WP, Eddy DE, et al. Physiological and performance responses to nicotinic-acid ingestion during exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1995;27:1057–62.
28. Manore MM. Vitamin B6 and exercise. Int J Sport Nutr 1994;4:89–103.
29. Murray R, Bartoli WP, Eddy DE, et al. Physiological and performance responses to nicotinic-acid ingestion during exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1995;27:1057–62.
30. Bhagavan HN, Coleman M, Coursin DB. The effect of pyridoxine hydrochloride on blood serotonin and pyridoxal phosphate contents in hyperactive children. Pediatrics 1975;55:437–41.
31. Coleman M, Steinberg G, Tippett J, et al. A preliminary study of the effect of pyridoxine administration in a subgroup of hyperkinetic children: a double-blind crossover comparison with methylphenidate. Biol Psychiatry 1979;14:741–51.
32. Brenner A. The effects of megadoses of selected B complex vitamins on children with hyperkinesis: controlled studies with long term followup. J Learning Dis 1982;15:258–64.
33. Haslam RHA. Is there a role for megavitamin therapy in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder? Adv Neurol 1992;58:303–10.
34. Rawls WB, Ancona VC. Chronic urticaria associated with hypochlorhydria or achlorhydria. Rev Gastroenterol 1951;18:267–71.
35. Allison JR. The relation of hydrochloric acid and vitamin B complex deficiency in certain skin diseases. South Med J 1945;38:235–41.
36. Gumurdulu Y, Serin E, Ozer B, et al. The impact of B12 treatment on gastric emptying time in patients with Helicobacter pylori infection. *J Clin Gastroenterol* 2003;37:230–3.
37. Abraham GE, Grewal H. A total dietary program emphasizing magnesium instead of calcium. J Reprod Med 1990;35:503–7.
38. Biskind MS. Nutritional deficiency in the etiology of menorrhagia, metrorrhagia, cystic mastitis and premenstrual tension: treatment with vitamin B-complex. J Clin Endocrinol Metabol 1943;3:227–34.
39. Biskind MS, Biskind GR, Biskind LH. Nutritional deficiency in the etiology of menorrhagia, metrorrhagia, cystic mastitis and premenstrual tension. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1944;78:49–57.
40. Piesse JW. Nutritional factors in the premenstrual syndrome. Int Clin Nutr Rev 1984;4(2):54–80 [review].
41. Tkacz C. A preventive measure for tardive dyskinesia. J Int Acad Prev Med 1984;8:(5)5–8.
42. Toll N. To the editor. J Orthomolec Psychiatry 1982;11:42.
43. Sieve BF. Further investigations in the treatment of vitiligo. Virginia Med Monthly 1945;Jan:6–17.
Vitamin B Complex Benefits
Here is what people are saying about the benefits of Vitamin B Complex.
"It tastes like cheese snack. Every time I make spaghetti I use this instead of cheese. I love how healthy it is and how full of protein and B vitamins it is. And it's also great for homemade popcorn. I'll order it again...."
"As we all know – folate and folic acid are nutrients required for many critical functions in the body. Unfortunately I have a genetic MTHFR mutation and unable to utilize these nutrients properly. Any folic acid I ingest must be metabolized into Dihydrofolate (DHF), Tetrahydrofolate (THF), and L-methylfolate (5-MTHF – L-methylfolate is the biologic..."
"If you have one or more MTHFR mutation, this is a really good Vitamin B supplement. You MUST do your research and read labels, or talk to your doctors or Naturopath for conflicting terms for a nutrient you really need. If you don't know if you have this mutation, you should have your doctor test you. Make sure you know what yo are taking into your ..."
The information presented in Aisle7 is for informational purposes only. It is based on scientific studies (human, animal, or in vitro), clinical experience, or traditional usage as cited in each article. The results reported may not necessarily occur in all individuals. For many of the conditions discussed, treatment with prescription or over the counter medication is also available. Consult your doctor, practitioner, and/or pharmacist for any health problem and before using any supplements or before making any changes in prescribed medications. Information expires June 2013.