If you and your loved one like to make health and fitness a priority or if you're interested in having a lighter holiday, relax -- a healthy Valentine's Day is possible. Just because the day is synonymous with candy and desserts and indulgent meals, it doesn't mean there isn't another way to celebrate.
Here are some fun ways to have a healthier Valentine's Day that is no less romantic and indulgent:
1. Drink red wine instead of mixed drinks or beer. Red wine contains resveratrol, an antioxidant that has been shown to support heart health. However, drinking a whole bottle in one sitting won't have superhero benefits for your ticker.
2. Go dark when giving or enjoying chocolate. Dark chocolate isn't made with milk, so it's lower in fat and calories and the higher the percentage of cacao the better -- cacao contains antioxidant compounds as well to shield the body against free radical damage.
3. Set the mood for relaxation with aromatherapy oils and candles. Turn out the lights and just unwind together to let the stresses of the week go. You'll also be lowering your blood pressure, which is crucial for your health.
4. Skip on paying for the masseuse and try it yourself. Give each other a massage with a soothing or warming natural massage oil. Put on some calming music and dim the lights. This will help you release any tension and promotes proper circulation. Not to mention, it's incredibly seductive.
5. Ditch the takeout and cook together. Pick a recipe you're both familiar with, at least in technique, so this doesn't become a stressful activity for you both. Strategies for lightening up meals include baking and roasting instead of pan frying, subbing olive or coconut oil for butter and using exotic and bold spices instead of rich sauces. Some aphrodisiacs to include on your menu include avocados, oysters, honey and yes, garlic. Enjoy that glass of red wine while you work.
6. Instead of laying low, be active. If you and your partner enjoy an active lifestyle, keep that going by picking a physical activity you can do together like indoor rock climbing, tandem bike riding or even a long hike. Work as a team and try to avoid competing.
7. Be intimate and enjoy a calorie burn. Kissing burns about 72 calories per hour and sex burns between 140 and 200 calories per hour. As if you needed another reason.
8. Sleep in if you can. Valentine's Day is on a Friday this year, so enjoy a long night of restful sleep and have an even better morning. Sleep is essential for stress reduction, a strong immune system and even weight management. Don't bother setting the alarm clock and leave your phones in the kitchen. When you get up in the morning, dine on breakfast in bed and keep the love going.
Keeping yourself healthy means many more Valentine's Days to come with your partner! Get everything you need at eVitamins and have a romantic weekend!