Acne can occur at any age, but it's most frustrating when it returns years after you thought you were done dealing with it. Treating adult acne takes a different approach to combat hormonal shifts as well as clogged pores.
To fight adult acne from the inside, we prefer vitex and DIM.
A Little About Vitex
Vitex (Vitex agnus-castus) is a type of berry that grows on the chaste tree, which is why it's also referred to as chasteberry. It's commonly taken to balance hormones by women, reducing symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) as well as menopause and assisting in other aspects of women's wellness such as breast health. Men can also use vitex to support prostate and urinary health as well as libido.
When it comes to acne, this natural hormone-regulating effect can help keep acne flareups in check. Hormones known as androgens can cause the oil glands of the body to be over overstimulated. When this happens, they produce oil faster than the skin can regenerate, leading to clogged pores and pimples, typically on the chin, jawline, back and shoulders.
The Facts on DIM
DIM stands for diindolymethane, a substance found within cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower. This naturally occurring substance has been shown to behave similarly to estrogen when ingested. It may also block excess estrogen, which can lead to acne breakouts.
You should always consult your doctor before adding a new supplement like DIM or vitex to your routine, especially if you're a woman who is pregnant, breastfeeeding or trying to get pregnant, or if you have a pre-existing medical condition.
A Natural Acne Regimen
Now that you know vitex and DIM can do to benefit your skin, it's time to build your acne-fighting skincare routine. These are our favorite tips:
- Take vitex up to three times a day to start for 12 weeks, in divided doses. After that time period, you can go down to one dosage per day.
- Take DIM once a day, preferably with food.
- Cleanse your face morning and night with a gentle cleanser.
- Use an alcohol-free toner to remove any soap residue and control oil during the day.
- Moisturize your skin with an oil-free facial moisturizer. You could also just use aloe vera.
- Drink plenty of water and try avoiding sugary and fatty foods, sticking to a balanced, colorful diet.
- Reduce stress whenever possible.
- Sleep at least eight hours per night to allow the skin to regenerate.
Follow these guidelines to tackle acne no matter your age. You can find all these clear skin must haves at eVitamins right now!