February 1 marked the beginning of the American Heart Association's Heart Month. Heart disease is still the No. 1 killer of women, contributing to one in three deaths each year, with a rate of one death per minute -- faster than all forms of cancer combined.
Don't become part of this statistic. These 10 supplements and tips can have a major positive effect on the health of your heart:
1. CoQ10 – This supplement is a powerful heart energizer which promotes healthy blood pressure, improves valve function, lowers cholesterol levels and boosts the energy output of your heart. It also helps keep your heart pumping regularly so your blood stays constantly circulating.
2. Folic Acid -- A study published in the British Medical Journal found people who consume the recommended amount each day have a 16 percent lower risk of heart disease compared to those whose diets are lacking. Eating sources of folate such as fruit, vegetables, grains and beans can also help reduce the risk of heart failure in men.
3. Flax Seed Oil – If you aren't a fan of fish, flaxseed oil can be a great substitute. It's a natural source of omega-3 fatty acids which help strengthen the heart by lowering the levels of triglycerides. Those who take omega-3 supplements after suffering a heart attack cut their risk factors in half while also reducing the chance of stroke.
4. Garlic – This herb strengthens our circulatory system by inhibiting platelet aggregation and increasing fibrinolysis resulting in a slowing of blood coagulation. Garlic has also been known to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood.
5. Vitamin B6-- A study conducted at the Cleveland Clinic found men with diets low in B vitamins were more than twice as likely to develop heart disease as men with higher levels in their systems. Specifically, vitamin B6 fights cardiovascular disease by lowering levels of homocysteine within the body.
6. Fiber – Fiber lowers blood cholesterol levels and helps you feel full, decreasing your chances of overeating. It also strengthens the heart by lowering blood glucose levels, improving dietary glucose tolerance, slowing digestion and decreasing cholesterol.
7. Honey– Honey has antioxidantal qualities which strengthen your heart and combat cardiovascular disease. Sugar, on the other hand, can lower the level of good cholesterol in your body, putting you at greater risk for heart disease. Raw honey has the same sweet taste as sugar, but with the added medicinal and nutritional properties.
8. Exercise– An inactive lifestyle is one of the top risk factors for heart disease. Lifting weights can make you look and feel better. Studies show just 30 minutes of lifting can reduce your risk of heart disease by 23 percent. By keeping a daily exercise regimen, you help stregthen your heart and cardiovascular system.
9. Potassium – If you're not getting 3,500 mgs of potassium daily, you further your risk for high blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure (greater than 140/90), reducing it by 20 points on the top and 10 on the bottom can cut your risk of heart disease in half. An excessively high level of blood pressure expedites the process of arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).
10. Extra Virgin Olive Oil – By spending an extra few bucks on extra virgin olive oils, you can raise your good cholesterol by 2 percent. Extra virgin oil also has more antioxidotal properties then your typical processed olive oil.
Be sure before taking any of these supplements to consult your doctor.
You need your heart to stay healthy if you want to lead a happy life free of complications. Give it the boost it needs with the wide variety of heart-healthy products available from eVitamins!
Products you may like:
Honey Gardens Northern Raw Honey Why you may like this product? Every jar contains nothing but pure Northern honey that can be used to as a great alternative to sugar. It also may contain pollen, propolis and beeswax, which have been shown to have beneficial medicinal and nutritional properties.
Esteem CARDIO LIFE Why you may like this product? This formula contains nutrients known to strengthen heart functions, lower cholesterol, return elasticity to cardiovascular tissue and combat the symptoms of stress. Anyone with a family history of heart disease, angina, weak hearts, or those who have suffered painful bypass surgery or angioplasty repair should consider adding this supplement to their lives.
Statements made about specific vitamins, supplements, procedures or other items sold on or through this website have not been evaluated by eVitamins, the Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) or the United States Food and Drug Administration. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. As always, please consult with a licensed doctor or physician before starting any diet, exercise or supplement program, before taking any vitamin or medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a problem.