As far as nutrients are concerned, calcium is an oldie but goodie. It's a mineral most people know they need, however, it's also a mineral that doesn't get enough praise for everything it does for our health.
Calcium is the most abundant mineral found within the human body and plays a role in many important processes on a daily basis. You can get calcium from food sources, including green, leafy vegetables like broccoli and kale or dairy products, or you can take it in supplement form. The recommended daily allowance (RDA) of calcium for adult men and women is about 1,000 mg. After age 70, the dosage should be increased to 1,200 mg per day.
1. Strong Tissues -- We'll give you this one, since it's the most well known benefit. The body stores 99 percent of its calcium within the teeth and bones to keep them strong. However, calcium can be difficult to absorb into these tissues on its own, so taking it with magnesium and/or vitamin D can help your body get the most out of it.
2. Circulatory Health -- Calcium is needed to make sure blood clots as it should. It also supports proper contraction and widening of the blood vessels for proper blood flow throughout the entire body.
3. Muscle Function -- You need the correct amount of calcium in your blood to keep all muscles contracting properly. When there isn't sufficient calcium within the blood supply, the body uses the calcium stored in your bones, which you don't want.
4. Nerve Transmission -- When it comes to nerves, calcium helps the nerves send out signals and then helps the body carry out the action. Since calcium maintains the health of the central nervous system, it makes a great natural sleep aid, especially when paired with magnesium.
5.Hormonal Balance -- Women also lose more calcium as their estrogen levels decrease, making supplementation necessary for many menopausal and postmenopausal women.
6. Heart Support -- As mentioned before, calcium regulates the contraction of the blood vessels as well as muscle tissue, which makes up the heart. Having sufficient calcium in the body keeps the cardiovascular and circulatory systems working together properly.
7. Cancer Prevention -- Anyone at a high risk for rectal or colon cancer should definitely add calcium to their list of important supplements. Calcium can help reduce your risk for developing these two cancers.
8. PMS Aide-- Women who are experiencing uncomfortable cramping due to premenstrual syndrome (PMS) should make sure they're getting enough calcium, which can provide some relief from this common symptom.
9. Heartburn Relief -- If you look at the label on the back of those antacids you pop in your mouth after a spicy meal, the main ingredient should be calcium carbonate, which helps neutralize the acid that causes pain in the throat and chest.
10. Pregnancy Nutrition -- Calcium is important to support the health of mother and child, ensuring the fetus' tissues develop properly. Some women experience high blood pressure during pregnancy, which can be helped by consuming sufficient calcium.
The benefits of calcium continue to be evaluated. The two most commonly available calcium supplements are calcium carbonate and calcium citrate and they can be found in everything from powder to softgels. Calcium carbonate must be taken with food, while calcium citrate doesn't have to be, making it a popular choice.
Be sure to speak with your doctor before adding a calcium supplement to your routine and follow instructions carefully. As with all supplements, calcium can affect the absorption and effectiveness of some medications, both prescription and over-the-counter (OTC). You should also wait one to two hours after taking a multivitamin to take a calcium supplement, since calcium can block absorption of some nutrients.
Shop for top calcium supplements at a great price at eVitamins. We'll be back next week with another winning supplement!
Products you may like:
Now Foods Calcium Citrate Why you may like this product? Calcium citrate is a form of
calcium that's easily absorbed
and utilized by the body. This
product provides 600 mg of
calcium per serving and also
includes a blend of supporting
vitamins and minerals
including vitamin D, zinc and
magnesium. Just two tablets a
day is all you need!
Solaray Cal-Mag Citrate 2:1 w/D-3 Why you may like this product? Looking for a stronger dose of
daily calcium? This high
potency supplement from
Solaray provides 1,000 mg of
calcium per serving plus 1,000
IU of vitamin D3 and 500 mg of
magnesium. This formula
ensures efficient absorption
and utilization of the calcium
throughout your body.
Which Form of Calcium Is Right for You? With several options, you may be wondering which calcium supplement
would benefit you the most for bone health? Learn more about the
different forms available to make the most educated decision.
Statements made about specific vitamins, supplements, procedures or other items sold on or through this website have not been evaluated by eVitamins or by the United States Food and Drug Administration. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. As always, please consult with a licensed doctor or physician before starting any diet, exercise or supplement program, before taking any vitamin or medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a problem.