We all know the feeling of sitting at our desk in the afternoon and feeling like we can't keep our eyes open one second longer. There is so much still to get done but all we can focus on is staying awake. One way to bring yourself out of this funk quickly is through aromatherapy.
A common component of traditional Eastern medicine, aromatherapy involves using different scents to stimulate the central nervous system through the nostrils. When these receptors within the nose are stimulated by different aromas, they send unique signals to the brain and throughout the body. Essential oils are the main way to get the benefits of aromatherapy and you can use a single oil or create a blend to achieve the desired effect. These oils are extracted from plants through one of several methods, including pressing and distillation.
Aromatherapy for Energy
Choosing the right scent can mean the difference between waking yourself up and lulling yourself to sleep. Choosing essential oils with a bright, fresh scent are best to perk you up and get you moving again. Scents that are more floral and soft tend to make you relax, so while you shouldn't choose a scent so strong it's off putting, choose one that provides a gentle jolt to the system.
These are some of the best essential oils for helping you go from tired to energized without having to gulp down an energy drink:
Using Essential Oils for Aromatherapy
How can you use essential oils? Here are some of our favorite ways:
- Combine oils in a diffuser to heat and disperse the scent throughout a room.
- Add essential oil to hand or body lotion.
- Dilute essential oil in water and mist your face with it.
- Spray diluted essential oils on your linens or in the air around you.
- Use beeswax and essential oils to make your own natural candles.
- Mix essential oils into your shampoo, conditioner and/or body wash for an invigorating shower.
- Keep a small bottle of essential oil with you to inhale on the go.
Give aromatherapy a try the next time you feel like you need an extra jolt of energy to get you through the day. Let us know how it works on Facebook and Twitter!