Halloween is coming! If this holiday is one of your favorites, your mind is probably filled with thoughts of sweet treats and indulgent foods, but there is a better way to celebrate the day. Whether you're partying with friends or with your kids in tow, here are 10 ways to make this Halloween your most fun and healthy yet:
1. Don't skip any meals leading up to your Halloween celebrations, as this can cause you to overdo it on less healthy options once you get to the party.
2. Make sure your menu includes plenty of nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables. Learn which are in season here.
3. Stay hydrated with your own apple cider or juice. If you have a juicer, juice fresh apples and add spices like cinnamon and serve warm. Cinnamon actually helps stabilize the blood sugar to keep you from diving back into the candy bowl.
4. Offer snacks to trick or treaters like dried fruit, pretzels or even small toys and trinkets instead of sugary candy. When serving treats at your house, pair them with something more nutritious like fresh fruits and veggies to balance them out.
5. Consider offering your child a trade for their candy to help cut down on how much of it they can eat. You can give them some extra allowance to sell it to you or take them shopping for something they need.
6. Be sure to research the weather to make sure everyone is properly outfitted for the elements so no one gets sick.
7. Join up with other families to have a healthier celebration together. This will make resolutions easier to stick to for everyone.
8. Do your trick or treating on foot to keep the whole family moving. The more walking you do, the more exercise you get and the more candy you get.
9. Once you and your kids return home with their treats, allow them some time to enjoy their stash but then put it away out of sight. This way you can make the candy a less frequent treat or reward instead of a daily snack.
10. Plan a balanced meal plan for the remainder of the holiday season to help your family stay on track so you can enjoy your social and family gatherings. Aim to follow the 80/20 rule, so the majority of your diet is wholesome, natural foods.
Use these suggestions to put the finishing touches on your Halloween plans and you'll be all set for a fantastic day!
eVitamins recommends that you do not rely on the information presented in this article as diagnosis for treatment to any health claim. Content and information on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. The information and statements in this article have not been evaluated by the US Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. eVitamins assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements.