We've talk a lot about weight loss over the years, so it was time to put all of our best tips (so far) in one place. Keep these suggestions in mind to help you meet your weight loss goals and remain at a healthy weight all year long.
1. Plan to consume smaller meals or three meals and two snacks throughout the day to keep your metabolism going and prevent you from pigging out later.
2. Eat a balanced diet that includes all the food groups instead of cutting some out completely (unless you have an allergy or intolerance).
3. Limit any cleanse to three days, eating especially cleanly for the three days leading up to the cleanse and the three days after.
4. Make sure to get plenty of fiber into your diet from whole grains and even supplements like psyllium husk to fill you up and keep the digestive system moving.
5. Enjoy lettuces and fruits like melon that are full of water to help fill you up and keep you hydrated all day long.
6. Cook with more chilies and spices instead of salt and fat to add flavor and kick start your metabolism to burn calories more quickly.
7. Add a few tablespoons of lemon juice to your water along with mint to reduce bloating, provide antioxidants and promote digestion.
8. Drink a full glass of water with every meal and snack to help you eat less.
9. Having a glass of dandelion root tea will get the urinary system moving to remove excess fluids.
10. Choose "good" fats to cook with like coconut oil, red palm oil, flaxseed oil and olive oil. Top foods with avocado or Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
11. Stop eating for the day at least two hours before you go to bed. If you have to have something, try some fruit.
12. Get between seven and nine hours of sleep each night to allow the body to rest, rejuvenate and fully digest food from the day.
13. Drink a glass of water right when you wake up and make it cold to get your metabolism going.
14. Reach for dried fruits or dark chocolate-covered nuts when you need something sweet instead of candy.
15. Never skip breakfast. Ever. Make sure that breakfast also contains plenty of protein.
16. Pay attention to serving sizes, even on healthy foods -- you can have too much of a good thing.
17. Stop eating right when you start to feel full, before you make yourself sick.
18. Split an entree with a friend or date when out to eat or ask for a takeout box right when your food comes out and pack half away for tomorrow.
19. Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, including cardio along with strength training to burn fat and build lean muscle. Also, be sure to stretch.
20. Don't compare yourself to anyone else, especially ads in magazines or online.
21. Swap out your refined sugars to natural sweeteners like raw honey and stevia.
22. Use natural flours like almond and buckwheat instead of processed white flour.
23. Start your meals with a bowl of soup, even just broth, to help you fill up and eat less during the actual meal.
24. Fill half your plate with vegetables like dark leafy greens and split the other half with even amounts of protein and carbohydrates/starches.
25. Enjoy a glass of green tea for catechins like EGCG that stimulate fat burning throughout the body.
26. Park farther from the front door of your office or a business to make you walk more -- aim for 10,000 steps per day.
27. Always take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator when you have the option.
28. Find new ways to reduce stress during the day to prevent you from eating as a coping mechanism. Aromatherapy, meditation and yoga are all great options.
29. Keep a stash of healthy snacks in your fridge, bag and desk at work so you never have to raid the vending machine.brp>
30. Have a healthy snack or small meal before heading to a dinner party to avoid overeating. You can even bring along your own healthy appetizer or dish.
31. Measure and weigh food to keep portion sizes in control.
32. Get up and walk around after a meal instead of sitting or, even worse, lying down and napping.
33. Drink a green juice or smoothie first thing in the morning for vitamins, minerals and amino acids, as well as fiber.
34. Never skip out on eating before and after a workout. Eating one hour before and within the hour after will fuel the body and promote the development of lean muscle mass.
35. Ditch the processed foods and frozen meals which are packed with preservatives, sodium and artificial stuff.
36. Change up your workouts regularly to avoid getting bored and becoming used to the movements.
37. Give yourself rest days from exercising (one or two a week) to avoid overtraining and burnout.
38. Shop the outer perimeter of the superstore and buy organic whenever possible.
39. Follow the three bite rule with desserts and decadent foods -- you get to taste and enjoy it while staying on track.
40. Don't make a temporary change -- make a lifestyle change.
From healthy groceries to supplements, we have everything you need to lose weight in the new year at eVitamins. Let us know your best tips!
eVitamins recommends that you do not rely on the information presented in this article as diagnosis for treatment to any health claim. Content and information on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. The information and statements in this article have not been evaluated by the US Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. eVitamins assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements.