As a man ages, he starts hearing more and more about the need to look after the health of his prostate. While its prostate cancer that makes the news, nearly all men experience non-life threatening prostate issues in their lifetime.
The prostate gland is a male reproductive organ located beneath the bladder, surrounding the urethra. After age 40, typically, it's common for the prostate to grow bigger, a condition called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), or enlarged prostate. When the prostate becomes enlarged, it puts pressure on the urethra and can lead to uncomfortable or difficult urination.
A growing number of men are learning the importance of preventative care when it comes to their prostate health. You can take a comprehensive approach to improving your prostate health using simple remedies such as herbs, vitamins and minerals to prevent an enlarged prostate or reduce symptoms.
If you're interested in this kind of approach, here are the top supplements to try for continued prostate health:
1. Saw Palmetto -- Known as one of the leading herbs for improving prostate health, saw palmetto contains natural substances that assist in reducing the size of the prostate gland. It also works as a gentle diuretic, which can help men with prostate disorders urinate with greater ease.
2. Stinging Nettle -- A plant you may be able to find in your backyard, stinging nettle can be effective in reducing the symptoms of an enlarged prostate and may also slow down the growth of prostate cells. The root of the stinging nettle plant is rich in vitamin C, trace minerals, chlorophyll, potassium and iron -- all of which are important for prostate health.
3. Pygeum -- This type of evergreen tree is found in Africa and the bark of the pygeum tree has been used for centuries for disorders of the bladder, including those caused by an enlarged prostate.
4. Zinc -- Studies show men with an infection of the prostate, a condition known as prostatitis, tend to have very low levels of zinc in their bodies. A zinc deficiency also commonly leads to an enlarged prostate. Foods such as pumpkin seeds, toasted wheat germ, oysters and peanuts are high in zinc -- you can also try a pumpkin seed oil supplement.
5. Vitamin C -- This essential nutrient has strong antioxidant properties within the body, helping to reduce infection, especially within the prostate gland. Vitamin C also works as an effective diuretic, to promote urination.
6. Lycopene -- An antioxidant that can be found in watermelon, tomatoes, and grapefruit, researchers have found a correlation between reduced risk of prostate cancer and the consumption of foods that contain lycopene. You can try adding lycopene in supplement form, or with these phytonutrient-rich foods, along with berries, pomegranates and broccoli.
7. Amino Acids -- Alanine, glutamic acid and glycine are found naturally in men with a healthy prostate. You can boost your prostate health by trying an amino acid supplement, available in capsule, tablet or powder form. Amino acids protect the tissues of the body and are commonly included in workout supplements.
8. Marshmallow Root -- Not the candy, this herb can be used as a natural anti-inflammatory that may promote improved function of the genitor-urinary tract, which plays a key role in prostate health.
To maintain prostate health for the long term, it's also important to refrain from unhealthy habits such as smoking or living a sedentary lifestyle. Regular exercise and a healthy diet low in fat and processed foods will also have a considerable effect on your prostate health as well as your overall health.
Take the first step to making prostate health a priority and check out all of these prostate-supporting supplements and more at eVitamins. Just because prostate issues are common, it doesn't mean they have to be your new normal.
Products you may like:
Hi-Tech Supplements Prost-Rx Why you may like this product? Prost-Rx combines vitamins B6
and E with zinc and a
proprietary blend of herbal
extracts that benefit prostate
health. This supplement
includes saw palmetto,
lycopene and the amino acids
alanine and glutamic acid.
Now Foods Prostate Support Why you may like this product? Now's product for prostate
health includes several of the
ingredients listed above,
including stinging nettle,
pumpkin seed oil and pygeum.
Taken just twice a day, this
supplement provides complete
Statements made about specific vitamins, supplements, procedures or other items sold on or through this website have not been evaluated by eVitamins or by the United States Food and Drug Administration. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. As always, please consult with a licensed doctor or physician before starting any diet, exercise or supplement program, before taking any vitamin or medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a problem.