Are goji berries the fountain of youth? If you ask practitioners of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and herbalists around the world, they may tell you they're pretty close.
Goji berries (Lycium barbarum), also known as wolfberries, provide a multitude of health benefits that contribute to longevity and can help you look and feel your best. Here are eight reasons goji berries are certainly a superfood and superberry:
1. Antioxidant Power -- These little berries are packed with antioxidants, like zeaxanthin, a carotenoid (carotenoids give the the berries their red-orange color). Antioxidants are known to protect the cells of the body from free radicals, which can cause oxidative stress and damage them. We encounter free radicals daily from pollution, food and even skincare products.
2. Vitamin A -- If you're in need of more vitamin A, you can find plenty in goji berries, specifically in the form of beta carotene. Beta carotene functions as a powerful antioxidant as well within the body. Vitamin A is particularly important for the eyes, especially with delaying and/or preventing macular degeneration and assisting with night vision.
3. Vitamin C -- Another antioxidant vitamin, goji berries are a great way to get your daily vitamin C to protect the body from threats of illness and infection. In fact, goji berries contain the most vitamin C of any food found in the world by weight. Vitamin C also supports the body's tissues, helping them repair from injury.
4. Amino Acids -- When you eat goji berries, you're getting 18 amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein and help you build lean muscles, remove toxins from the body, aid in digestion and even help prevent bones loss by assisting in the absorption of valuable minerals, like calcium.
5. Minerals -- These berries may be small in size, but they provide more than 20 minerals essential for health. Minerals play important roles in everything from energy production to bone health. Minerals keep all the vital organs and systems within the body functioning properly, especially the liver.
6. Better Sleep -- The minerals and amino acids found within goji berries can also help you sleep more deeply throughout the night to wake feeling rejuvenated. These nutrients help calm the nerves to reduce stress and anxiety. Getting better sleep helps you stress less during the day, prevents you from getting sick and can help you maintain a healthy weight.
7. Increase Immunity -- Stop yourself from getting sick before it even happens, or give your immune system some reinforcement with goji berries. The antioxidants and other nutrients within goji berries help strengthen the body's natural defenses against pathogens and threats of viral, fungal and bacterial infection and illness, even during cold and flu season.
8. Radiant Skin -- The secret to smooth, even-toned skin may be found in goji berries. The vitamin A within goji berries helps keep the skin clear of blemishes. As previously mentioned, vitamin C helps the skin repair itself, improving the appearance of scars or dark spots. Those antioxidants also prevent the free radical damage that leads to visible signs of aging, like wrinkles.
You can find goji berries in whole form, dried, which make a great addition to baked goods or trail mix. Or, you can try some goji juice in your morning smoothie or even capsules that provide a concentrated dose of goji berry extract so you can get the benefits of goji berries anytime, anywhere.
Shop our entire selection of goji products as well as plenty of other superfoods to help you stay on top of your health. Go goji and have a great day!
eVitamins recommends that you do not rely on the information presented in this article as diagnosis for treatment to any health claim. Content and information on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. The information and statements in this article have not been evaluated by the US Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. eVitamins assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements.