One of the most frustrating digestive conditions is bloating, which can make you feel less than your best. Whether you have to get dressed up for a big event or put on a swimsuit, there are certain foods you should absolutely stay away from to keep bloating at bay.
We've compiled a list of the 10 foods you should stay away from since they can make you bloat:
1. Salt -- Sodium can cause you to retain water, plain and simple. High sodium foods, drinks and condiments can all lead to bloating.
2. Dairy -- The lactose within dairy products like cheese and milk and can be difficult to break down, and some people are lactose intolerant and cannot break it down at all.
3. Artificial Sweeteners -- Specific sugar substitutes, like sorbitol, can also lead to bloating. Stick to natural sweeteners whenever you can and be sure to read the nutrition facts on anything processed.
4. Cruciferous Vegetables -- Some of the sugar within cruciferous foods like broccoli and kale hangs out in the gut longer, lingering in the digestive system until it is fermented by bacteria. Not eating these foods raw can help you avoid it.
5. Beans and Lentils -- The same can be said for beans and lentils, which are rich in fiber as well as sugar that can remain in the gut and cause bloating.
6. Asparagus -- The sugars found within asparagus, when digested, result in the production of methane gas. So, in addition to stinky urine, they can make you bloat as well.
7. Apples -- In addition to sugar, apples are rich in pectin, a type of fiber that can beneficial to the digestive system but can also cause your abdomen to swell temporarily.
8. Carbonated Beverages -- If you love soda, now you have another reason to kick the habit. Fizzy drinks will quite literally continue fizzing through your digestive system, creating air bubbles that make you bloat.
9. Dried Fruits -- Prunes and apricots in particular can lead to a bulging belly due to their high content of fructose, a natural sugar that can be difficult to digest.
10. Processed Foods -- Prepackaged foods often contain artificial ingredients and preservatives that can cause you to bloat. Many are also high in sodium and sugar. Read labels carefully and go for organic, non-GMO products.
Natural Bloating Remedies
Avoiding certain foods can be hard and they aren't the only cause of bloating after all. Follow these tips to rid yourself of bloating quickly:Drink plenty of water. Try adding fresh lemon juice and peppermint leaves.Practice yoga for 30 minutes to one hour. Yoga poses with twists can help stimulate the digestive system to get things moving.Use a dry brush before hopping in the shower to stimulate the lymphatic system to remove excess water.Make yourself a cup of dandelion root tea, which is a natural diuretic.Add an enzyme supplement to your routine to encourage the proper breakdown and digestion of food.Eat foods that have higher water content, like melon.
Follow these tips and you'll be on your way to a flatter belly. Stay well!