Sometimes, the best thing we can do to increase our health is take a page out of nature's playbook.
A creamy, white honeybee secretion, royal jelly is fed exclusively to queen larva and adult queen bees throughout their life cycle. Royal jelly is a highly complex compound containing proteins, lipids, carbohydrates and folic acid. It’s also a good resource of vitamins, particularly B1, B2, B6, C, niacin and pantothenic acid.
Royal jelly has a variety of uses which can help increase your overall health:
1. Brain Health -- Royal jelly has been reported to stimulate the growth of glial cells, neural stem cells and acetylcholine in the brain. Acetylcholine is a brain chemical which is required for the transmission of nerve impulses from one cell to another. This neuro-chemical is also important for the prevention of certain degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
2. Healthy Skin -- Royal jelly can be used as a cosmetic product both internally and externally. Studies show royal jelly actually increases the moisture content of the skin and helps hydrate dry skin by regenerating the cells and tissues. Normally, the skin can renew itself in 30 days. If you religiously use royal jelly as a skin treatment, you should notice healthier, more vibrant skin.
3. Cholesterol -- Royal jelly helps maintain good levels of high density cholesterol (HDL) in the body. Unlike low density cholesterol (LDL), which can reduce blood flow, HDL acts like a mop to remove excess cholesterol deposited in blood vessel walls and delivers it back to the liver to be destroyed.
4. Reducing Stress -- Royal jelly contains fair amounts of inositol which plays a key role in the regulation of adrenaline and endorphins in the body which then help reduce stress and anxiety.
5. Immune System Booster -- Royal jelly contains gamma globulins which are helpful in the improvement of immune system health.
6. Prevent the Signs of Aging -- Royal jelly helps protect the skin from the damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation from the sun. This radiation causes damage to the collagen supporting the skin, thus causing wrinkling.
7. Cancer and Tumor Suppression -- (Editor's Note: This supplement isn't being pegged as a cure for cancer or as more effective than other treatments.) Several studies have shown royal jelly has strong cancer and tumor suppressing abilities. It's been proven effective at reducing the adverse side effects of chemotherapy drugs. It’s also believed royal jelly achieves these effects by decreasing lipid peroxidation and increasing the potency of antioxidants within the body like superoxide dismutase (SOD), glutathione (GSH) and glutathione-S-transferase (GST).
8. Fertility -- Since the queen bee is fed royal jelly, it increases her fertility. Studies are still ongoing, but the same effect has been found in women. Those women who regularly consume royal honey find themselves to be fertile for longer compared to those who don't. It helps regulate hormonal imbalances and can help women conceive faster.
9. PMS -- Royal jelly has been used to alleviate symptoms of premenstrual syndrome in women. Many women find royal jelly helps lessen the symptoms associated with PMS and can also help regulate their period cycles.
10. Fat Metabolism -- Certain properties in royal jelly induce thermogensis, which is fat burning through heat. Thermogenesis normally occurs throughout the body and is very important in boosting metabolism and burning body fat.
The amount of bee pollen that should be consumed on a daily basis is up for debate. However, the average amount is around 1,500 mg per day.
Remember to consult your doctor before taking any supplements that contain royal jelly as they may provoke an allergic reaction. You should also consult your doctor before adding new supplements to your routine if you're currently taking medication for diagnosed medical condition.
Whether you're looking for royal jelly, bee pollen or another supplement to better your health, eVitamins has what you need at a low price. We'll be back tomorrow!
eVitamins recommends that you do not rely on the information presented in this article as diagnosis for treatment to any health claim. Content and information on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. The information and statements in this article have not been evaluated by the US Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. eVitamins assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements.