Oils have been used medicinally for centuries to relieve everything from the common cold to rashes and dandruff. Plants and fish are common sources of medicinal oils, but there's a type of oil you may not have heard of that can help with all these things -- emu oil.
Emu oil is produced from the fat of these large birds, during processing, and is rich in essential fatty acids and vitamins like A and E. The oil is commonly sold on its own or mixed into topical products, like creams or gels. Research is ongoing in regard to ingesting the oil for health benefits, particularly cardiovascular benefits.
Intrigued by emu oil? Here are 10 great reasons to give this unconventional oil a try for your health and comfort:
1. Pain Reliever -- The most common use of emu oil is to reduce pain, either in the muscles or joints. Emu oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can decrease swelling and stop the aching, especially in those who suffer from conditions like arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome and shin splints. It can also help treat a headache or painful migraine -- just massage the oil into the pain points, like the temples.
2. Cholesterol Regulator -- Some studies have shown that ingesting emu oil, which is rich in essential fatty acids and poly- and monounsaturated fats, can help lower LDL, or "bad" cholesterol and raise HDL, or "good" cholesterol. However, these early tests have been conducted on animals and more research is needed before ingesting emu oil becomes more widely recommended.
3. Infection Fighter -- Whether it's an infected body piercing or skin irritation, the antioxidants, vitamins and essential fatty acids within emu oil can help treat infection when applied topically. Of course, speak with a physician before using it for this purpose, especially if you're currently taking medication for an infection.
4. Wound Healer -- When applied directly to the site, emu oil promotes wound healing and skin rejuvenation, reducing the appearance of scarring and promoting healthy skin re-growth. Surgical patients can find emu oil especially useful to make larger incision points less noticeable.
5. Skin Corrector -- Emu oil also has some anti-aging and beauty benefits. It can reduce redness from acne breakouts and blemishes and the hyperpigmentation that causes age spots as well as wrinkles and sun damage. Individuals who suffer from skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema may also be able to find relief by applying emu oil topically.
6. Nosebleed Prevention -- Nosebleeds are often caused by dryness in the nasal passages, leading to irritation. Apply a little emu oil inside the nostrils to calm the skin and prevent bleeding by adding moisture to the nasal cavity.
7. Cold and Flu Remedy -- In addition to nosebleeds, emu oil placed within the nose can also ease symptoms of the common cold and flu, also by reducing irritation.
8. Diabetes Aid-- Nerve discomfort is a common symptom of diabetes that can be characterized by pain or tingling, especially in the limbs. Applying emu oil can help dull these symptoms for greater comfort while moving and when at rest.
9. Massage Oil -- For all of its anti-inflammatory benefits, which reduce pain and soothe irritated skin, emu oil can be used in massage therapy, applied directly to the skin. Doing this may help reduce muscle pain and provide additional moisture for the skin.
10. Animal Care -- Just as it's used for humans, some veterinarians will use emu oil to soothe an animal's irritated skin (for example, on the paws) that's either dry or been bitten by fleas and to help ease joint pain in older animals.
Research continues about the benefits of using emu oil for health. Shop for quality emu oil supplements at eVitamins to enjoy these benefits -- we'll be back next Monday with another great product to try. Have a great week!
Products you may like:
Thunder Ridge Emu Products Emu Oil Why you may like this product? Called "the oil that heals,"
this emu oil product is 100
percent natural, produced from
the American emu and is even
considered edible grade. This
oil has anti-inflammatory and
anti-aging benefits when
World Organic EMU Relief Evening Why you may like this product? This amazing product combines
powerful emu oil with other
proven pain fighters like MSM,
white willow bark and arnica
along with menthol and vitamin
E to soothe and treat pain.
Massaged into the skin, it can
help treat inflammation for
greater comfort all day and
eVitamins, Copyright 1999-2016. All Rights Reserved.
Statements made about specific vitamins, supplements, procedures or other items sold on or through this website have not been evaluated by eVitamins or by the United States Food and Drug Administration. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. As always, please consult with a licensed doctor or physician before starting any diet, exercise or supplement program, before taking any vitamin or medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a problem.