Sometimes the solution we need is so simple, we can't believe we overlooked it. This is the case with bee pollen, the nutrient-dense product of pollen collection by honeybees that's used medicinally for everything from digestion to prostate health.
Bee pollen, in supplement form, is produced from the pollen that collects on the bodies of bees when harvesting the pollen from flowers. It's combined with nectar and serves as the food for young bees. Some bee pollen products may also contain the saliva of the bee. These products are most commonly sold in granule form to be eaten, but capsules and tablets are also available.
Bee pollen is a holistic remedy used throughout the world for a myriad of purposes and research is ongoing to determine the exact role of bee pollen in promoting health. Here are 10 great reasons to learn more about bee pollen:
1. Nutritious Superfood -- Bee pollen is rich in B vitamins, minerals, lipids and carbohydrates and is nearly half protein. You can add bee pollen to prepared foods like a smoothie or cereal for some added nutrition. Dr. Mehmet Oz sprinkled some on his yogurt on an episode of "The Dr. Oz Show."
2. Energy Booster -- This range of nutrients found within bee pollen makes it a great natural energizer. When added to food, as previously mentioned, or taken in another form, the carbohydrates, protein and B vitamins can help keep you going all day with improved stamina to fight off fatigue.
3. Skin Soother -- You can find bee pollen in topical products to deal with common skin irritations or inflammatory conditions like eczema. The amino acids and vitamins protect the skin's structure and support cellular regeneration.
4. Respiratory Health -- The antioxidants found within bee pollen may have an anti-inflammatory effect on the tissues of the lungs, preventing the onset of asthma. It can also build up your resistance to allergens. Don't stop using any prescription medication for asthma or allergies without your doctor's consent.
5. Digestive Regularity -- In addition to healthful vitamins, minerals and protein, bee pollen contains enzymes that can aid in digestion. Enzymes help the body break down fat, protein, carbohydrates and amino acids to be used throughout the body as energy. They also make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need from the food you eat.
6. Immune System Strengthener -- According to holistic health expert Dr. Joseph Mercola, bee pollen has antibiotic-type properties that can help protect the body from contracting viruses. It's also rich in antioxidants that protect the cells from the damaging oxidation of free radicals.
7. Cravings Inhibitor -- Bee pollen is used throughout the world for many different reasons, but one of the most interesting is its use for preventing cravings and treating addiction by suppressing urges. However, more research is needed into this benefit, particularly when it comes to weight management.
8. Fertility Aide -- Bee pollen can also be taken to stimulate the function of the ovaries to protect the egg and encourage fertilization. However, it's not recommended for women who are pregnant, so be sure to consult with your physician first about bee pollen if you're experiencing fertility problems.
9. Heart Support -- Ingesting bee pollen has been shown to improve cholesterol levels in the blood, lowering LDL, or "bad" cholesterol. Doing so can reduce your risk for heart attack, stroke and heart disease.
10. Enlarged Prostate Relief-- Men who suffer from benign prostate hyperplasia can find relief by using bee pollen supplements. Bee pollen can help reduce inflammation to stop frequent urges to urinate.
Anyone who is allergic to bees or pollen should avoid using any products containing bee pollen or bee pollen supplements to avoid a serious reaction, unless authorized by their healthcare provider. Again, pregnant and breastfeeding women are also advised not to use bee pollen. If you've been diagnosed with a medical condition, like diabetes, be sure to check with your physician first before adding this, or any other supplement to your routine.
Shop for quality bee pollen supplements at a great price at eVitamins. We'll bee back next week with another great product!
Products you may like:
eVitamins Bee Pollen Caps Why you may like this product? If you're not a fan of
consuming bee pollen in
capsule form, our bee pollen
capsules are a convenient way
to get the benefits of bee
pollen. Each serving provides
1,000 mg of pure bee pollen,
without any binders or
fillers. Take it up to three
times a day to support the
immune system, skin, digestive
and respiratory systems.
Montana Bee Pollen Granules Why you may like this product? These bee pollen granules are
100 percent pure without any
additives, fillers or
artificial ingredients. Just
add 1 tsp daily to your
smoothie, yogurt or cereal to
support digestive regularity
and fight off illness. Bee
pollen has a slightly sweet,
nutty taste that compliments
the flavor of sweeter foods.
10 Ways to Use Bee Pollen Bee pollen is a fantastic natural energy booster, but you may not be sure how to use it. Keep reading to learn some new ways to add this unique supplement to your daily routine.
Naturally Increase Energy With Bee Pollen If you're feeling sluggish, you may have tried coffee, energy drinks
and anything you could find with caffeine. Could bee pollen be the
boost you've been searching for? Read on to learn more.
eVitamins, Copyright 1999-2016. All Rights Reserved.
Statements made about specific vitamins, supplements, procedures or other items sold on or through this website have not been evaluated by eVitamins or by the United States Food and Drug Administration. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. As always, please consult with a licensed doctor or physician before starting any diet, exercise or supplement program, before taking any vitamin or medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a problem.