What is vitamin B complex?
In short, vitamin B complex is a grouping of all B vitamins. A more detailed answer is that vitamin B complex is actually a grouping of all water-soluble vitamins, with the exception of vitamin C. Water-soluble vitamins are those that get dissolved in water instead of getting stored in fat. You body naturally depletes itself of these vitamins faster than other nutrients because when you urinate or perspire you're also flushing them away. Niacin, or vitamin B3, is actually well known for giving urine a bright yellow color because of this. Fat-soluble vitamins, like vitamins A, D and E, can be stored in the body and released during a lapse, thus allowing for grace periods. B complex vitamins get used up daily - and once you're out, you're out until you refill.
What does vitamin B complex do?
Benefit #1: Lose Weight
More than 50 percent of Americans want to lose weight, according to a 2006 Gallup poll. If you’re one of these individuals, you may want to consider your vitamin B intake. Some dieters request vitamin B12 injections to boost energy and metabolism, which helps shed body fat. The vitamin B complex specifically helps with weight loss because it breaks down fats, proteins and carbohydrates by restoring a healthy digestion. A healthy digestion system rids your body of toxins that can slow down functions that could inhibit weight loss.
Benefit #2: Reduce Risk for Disease
Wondering about your future health? Protect yourself from diseases with vitamin B complex!
- Pantothenic acid (B5) reduces cholesterol levels.
- Folic acid (B9) reduces risk for heart disease, stroke and colon cancer.
- Biotin improves blood-sugar control.
- Para-amino benzoic acid (PABA) helps prevent connective-tissue disease.
Benefit #3: Improve Memory
B vitamins can also significantly improve memory.
- Bodies need choline for normal brain and memory function.
- Cyanocobalamin (B12) can improve memory and reduce mental fogginess.
- An Oxford University study found that B-Vitamins halved the rate of brain shrinkage in older people with memory problems.
- Riboflavin (B2) helps reduce migraine headaches.
- Pyridoxine (B6) controls the production of the neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin and histamine. Histamine function can affect frequency and duration of migraines.
- A study by Griffith University’s Griffith’s Genomics Research Centre (GRC) has shown that folate and vitamin B reduced the severity and frequency of headaches.
Benefit #5: Improve Skin, Hair and Nails
Ditch the masks and creams and grab some vitamin B for beautiful skin, hair and nails. Taking a vitamin B complex supplement helps restore RNA, synthesize DNA and produce cells. Vitamin B helps generate healthy looking skin, hair and nails, specifically vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B9, B12, biotin and choline.
-  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-b12-injections/AN01400
-  http://www.wholeliving.com/article/the-benefits-of-b-vitamins
-  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/04/100415161933.htm
-  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100912213050.htm
-  http://insciences.org/article.php?article_id=2034